Home About Me Unit Studies Family Fun Travel Recipes Contact Me

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Black Beans and Rice with Fresh Peach Salsa


My husband and I have recently begun our own Total Money Makeover à la Dave Ramsey. Those who are familiar with Ramsey's financial plan understand the phrase "beans and rice, rice and beans." Beans and rice are both frugal items that also have the right combination to provide a complete protein. I have never been a huge beans and rice fan, but I decided to give it another try. Today I cooked up a batch in the slow cooker and then mixed up a fresh peach salsa to go with it. I was surprised at how delicious it turned out!


~ Slow Cooker Black Beans and Rice ~

Cook a pound of dried black beans according to the package (remember to either soak them overnight or do a quick soak). In your slow cooker, pour some olive oil in the bottom. Stir in 1 1/2 cups rice (medium or long grain). Add your beans (you could also use canned beans if you prefer). Sprinkle in some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Add one diced onion and a small can of crushed tomatoes. Pour 2 cups of chicken (or vegetable) broth into the slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for a few hours until the rice is tender.


~ Fresh Peach Salsa ~


3 peaches, skinned and diced
(I used white peaches, which is why the salsa doesn't look orange.)

3 roma tomatoes

1/2 small onion, diced

1 jalapeno pepper, diced

handful of cilantro, chopped

1 tablespoon lemon juice

4 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons vinegar


Mix all of the ingredients together. I usually put my salsa in my mini food processor for a few spins because I like it a bit more finely chopped.



Place some beans and rice in a bowl and top with the fresh peach salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Trish H. Design's "Merry Go Round" kit.