Home About Me Unit Studies Family Fun Travel Recipes Contact Me

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bread-Crumb Cookies


I first heard about Bread-Crumb Cookies in The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzyn. The idea of using bread crumbs as the main ingredient in a cookie sounded a bit strange, but I was willing to give it a try. The boys and I are not big heel fans so I always put them in the freezer to use as bread crumbs. I never purchase bread crumbs at the store. I just grab some bread from the freezer, toss in my mini food processor, and voila.

Sometimes my stash begins to grow and get out of hand. That's where this recipe comes in to save the day. Now, I wouldn't rush out and buy bread crumbs to make these cookies. They're not that good. But, if you're like me and have lots of leftover bread in your freezer and want to use it up, give this one a try.


I did alter the original recipe a bit to make it healthier. I should also mention that we always buy 100% whole wheat bread so our cookies are 100% whole wheat. They are a hit with the boys who say they taste like brownies.



~ Bread-Crumb Cookies ~


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups bread crumbs

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup peanut butter


Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Add the wet to the dry. Stir till combined and drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 - 15 minutes.

Check out Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Trish H. Design's "Merry Go Round" kit.