Home About Me Unit Studies Family Fun Travel Recipes Contact Me

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Will Travel by Running

So, what happened to posting more often on my blog? Well, running is what happened. Back in January, I made the crazy decision to register for the half-marathon at Walt Disney World next January. It was the first step in getting myself on the path to a healthier lifestyle.

I knew that by setting such a huge goal for myself, being a complete non-runner and at least forty pounds overweight, it would force me to actually get up and get moving. If I didn't start training, come race day, I would humiliate myself. Seems motivating to me!


The first part of my plan was to complete the Couch to 5K program and lose at least twenty pounds. I am currently on week six of the nine week program and have lost ten pounds. So far, so good. My endurance level continues to improve and my body is adjusting to the new lifestyle I have introduced.

All of my running so far has taken place on the treadmill. Once Chuck returns from deployment, I will hit the outdoors for at least my long run each week. I am looking forward to having some better scenery to observe during my workouts.

I thought I would share a few tips that I have learned over the first six weeks of the C25K program:

1) Buy a good pair of running shoes

2) Take it slow

3) 99% of running is mental so have confidence in yourself

4) Stretch!

5) Don't compare yourself to others


I will continue to post updates on my training and share tips and info. And, hey - this traveler really is traveling by foot now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Trish H. Design's "Merry Go Round" kit.